Friday, February 11, 2011

Oh my!

Does anyone else come home frazzled after a kids party? Or is it just me? I just returned from a childrens Valentine Party and I am totally overwhelmed. I mean, I feel like I could use a serious break! My eldest has returned home totally buzzed on sugar and energy of being surrounded by 25 other kids (all under the age of 3) and my youngest seems to respond like me. Her eyes are in that perpetual state of wide-eyed surprise.

A while back I read a book called The Highly Sensitive Child, in hopes to understand my almost 4 year old better. What I didn't expect was to learn something about myself! There are several ways in which I am sensitive and it can be downright painful for me to consider. 1. I can only take so much noise. Be it a concert or my children, at some point I reach a cap and have to exit the situation pronto. This makes kiddie parties and even playgroups really tough for me. 2. I attempt to keep things on the calm level, because that's what I can take. So I look like a control freak, but really I'm just trying to keep things to a managable level before my sensitivities are overloaded and I go running from the room. I've never ever liked huge parties, even if they were for me. I could get up on stage and sing in front of a huge room full of people, but if I had to get off the stage and mingle with them, that's enough to make my heart start beating fast and my hands to get all clammy.

And I think to myself "I've been done in by a kids party." Geez.

0 comments: