Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hm.... Back in the saddle...

I've been reading some blogs on simplicity lately and it inspired me. I've been feeling the pull towards living with less lately and these blogs were like some sort of mental lip balm. I feel better having read and been inspired to live a less-cluttered life with more time for what's important to me.

http://www.bemorewithless.com/
http://www.welivesimply.info/ (good family stuff in here)

I am deeply intrigued by people like this:
http://www.missminimalist.com/

Some questions I have for myself (and you if you'd like to answer them!):
What do I want to make more time for?
What does "living simply" mean to me?
Because what I think I'm finding out is that it's about mental and physical clutter. Having too much around you and being too busy or thinking about too many things (which I tend to do).

One thing I'd most definitely like to do is reduce the clothing items I own. I've already reduced what I wear to a 3" section of our closet and haven't really noticed much of a difference. I pretty much wear the same thing over and over and over. At some points, I will wear the same t-shirt for 3 days in a row if I haven't left the house (usually happens during the snow storms).
Some interesting ideas I read about as for clothing:
One woman suggested having something like this dress in her wardrobe, so it would function as several dresses.
The One Dress looks like another way to reduce the number of dresses you'd need in your wardrobe, and is way cool.
And what about this version of the infinity dress? Or the convertible top?
All of these items begs the questions: How many clothes do we need? What of self-expression in clothing choices? How much of a hold does the fashion industry have on me/you?

I'm sure there will be more about this later. I'm out for now!

1 comments:

Heather said...

I can't wait to move back in so I can go through all my stuff and PURGE before letting it back in out of the storage facility. Hee hee.....