Thursday, January 7, 2010

Yummus Hummus



I was talking to my good friend Maryann today - probably my oldest friend, actually... we went to school from pre-kindergarden to 12th grade through college (and shared the same major) together and even knew each other before good ole pre-k. Anyway. She asked about food and this started a list of things that we eat here in the Raz household. One of thing that struck her fancy was the mention of our hummus and veggie sandwiches/wraps. Then she told me I needed to share my hummus recipe. So instead of emailing it to her, I decided to "put it on the blog!" A much-repeated phrase here the past few days (it must be said with gusto while shooting a fist in the air). This is probably the first hummus recipe that I totally made up myself. It uses soaked nuts because I find tahini overpowering. I think I just don't like tahini, I'm really not sure. Here it is!

Yummus Hummus!
Anna Raz

1/4 c almonds
1/4 c cashews
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1 can chickpeas
3/8 c lemon juice
1 T olive oil (isn't required)
1/2 c fresh parsely (get the tops, not stems. loosely pack)
1 T Tony Chacheres
2 or 3 cloves minced fresh garlic
Water

Cover the nuts & seeds with water and allow to soak overnight. When you are ready to make the hummus, throw the nuts with the water in the blender or food processor. Add everything else and go to town. Use as much water as you want to achieve the consistency of hummus you prefer. There really isn't a right or wrong here. You won't need more than 1/2 a cup, we rarely use more than 1/4 c or so (but we have a blendtec and it blends this stuff to smithereens). It's always better the next day, but still good the day you make it. Should last in the fridge for a week or more, but it rarely makes it this long in our house so I really don't know how long it will keep.

What we use it for: sandwiches/wraps with a generous amount of hummus, sliced bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, & a little feta if you have it. YUM. We also just eat it with crackers or crudites (a fancy way to say veggies: carrots, celery, broccoli, & cauliflower pair well).

If you're trying to keep things raw, you can make it raw quite easily (this is how we make it). Raw Yummus Hummus instructions: use all raw nuts/seeds, squeeze your own lemons, used cold pressed olive oil, and soak dried chickpeas in water overnight or as long as it takes for them to get softer. Voila! It's raw!

0 comments: