Saturday, July 4, 2009

New Diaper Bag


I changed the handle to a different location, made it one strap, and added the elastic for an outer bottle/sippy compartment.

I added a zipper to the outer pocket and put a ton of pockets on the inside to house my wallet and other "purse" goodies.

It's huge and I'm huge! 34 weeks along!
I searched high and low for the perfect diaper bag... expensive one's, cheap one's, regular bags, purses, any bag was an option. Seriously, I wasn't satisfied with anything I saw. And I really wanted to be happy with another bag... one I didn't have to make. BUT, after about a month of looking, I decided I was going to have to make one. After looking a LOTS of patterns, I decided on the Amy Butler Weekender Bag. So, I bought the pattern, the supplies, and interestingly enough I had the fabric in my stash. Then I altered the pattern (to include my favorite features from different diaper bags I had seen) over a series of, er, several sewing sessions and dove in to the sewing! Here are some pictures of the process and the alterations I made. I read a lot about this pattern before I got started and the comments were a bit scary. However, it wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. And next time I make this bag, I'll leave out the thick inner lining, I'm not so sure it's necessary.

3 comments:

Smith + Long said...

anna i love it!! what a cool bag and so versatile. i just got a sewing machine and reading about your products definitely make me want to bust it out and start making some stuff the my little one. thanks for sharing!

elizabeth said...

oh I love it!

Heather said...

Beautiful! I love it.